Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Whiteout and Blackout of Christmas 2012

Christmas Day was going along perfectly! The kids were running from one toy to the next and Lyle and I were just enjoying it all....especially knowing Lyle had one more day off! The weather had been reporting that a record setting snowstorm was coming our way but we just waited for it to hit and didn't think much of it. Around 2pm, the ice started to fall and I looked at Lyle then and said, 'This could be bad." It wasn't until I put the pork loin in the oven around 4:30 did the power go out. We didn't panic at first. We thought surely it would come back on in a little while. We had a gas fireplace so the house stayed pretty warm. We just lit some candles, stuck the pork loin on the grill outside, and played some games in the dark. Little did we know, the power would not come back on for 4 more days!!

One good thing...the pork loin turned out better than it ever would have in the oven! I couldn't fix any of the other 5 side dishes I had planned on for our Christmas dinner but it was pretty good by itself!

We pulled the mattress into the living room in front of the fire and settled down for a long night around 8pm. Probably the earliest I have ever gone to sleep but not much you can do when the power is out after it gets dark. The kids thought is was awesome! It was fun for ONE night:)
The next morning we woke up to this in our back yard....a foot of snow! The kids were out in it by 7:30 am!
They played in it all day! Lyle helped them make a family of snowmen.

On the 27th, when the power still had not come back on and Lyle had to go to work, we decided to head to my parents' house and wait it out there. First we had to go over to my brother's house and feed his animals before we left town. Here is a pic of his house covered in a foot of snow.
The kids were thrilled to be going to their grandparents. They had a blast there and even got to go snow sledding. This is something I used to do as a kid growing up every winter. We would tie sleds behind our 4-wheelers and slide over the snow. It was a lot of fun and the kids enjoyed it as well. However, we did have a minor accident at the end that resulted in Ella getting a little scratched up but she was a trooper and can't wait to do it again!
They really did have more fun that it looks like in this picture:)
The power finally came back on Saturday, the 29th. So we headed home on Sunday. We had to get ready to celebrate a very special little girl's 7th birthday! I was never more happy to hear the sound of the dishwasher and laundry machine running in my house than I was on Sunday when we got back home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment