For several years now the kids have begged to go to Disney World in Florida. We really wanted to take them but we wanted the trip to have a reason sense it is a pretty expensive trip and the first time is always special. I remember going as a kid to DisneyLand and it was the best so I wanted the kids to have that same experience. Well, celebrating the survival of 5 years of surgery residency was the perfect reason! In January, I tossed the idea out to Lyle about maybe trying to plan the trip. I told him I would contact a Disney trip planner who came highly recommended to me from some friends just to see pricing and timing....it quickly escalated from there! Soon, we were knee deep in planning a secret Disney World trip for the kids..and when I say knee deep I really mean it. Planning a Disney trip is no joke. I lived and breathed Disney for months! So fun! The lady who helped us was amazing!! She really made it fun!
We had big plans of surprising the kids some cool way, but I wasn't very good at hiding it and accidentally left clues everywhere which Ella was quick to pick up on. So, instead of trying to deny everything, Lyle and I decided to come clean one afternoon. We held up signs saying "We are going to Disney World and Harry Potter". They were confused at first and then didn't stop screaming the rest of the night!
We we told the kids we still had a long ways to go, 58 days to be exact, so we started a count down in the kitchen. It was a fun reminder of what was to come everyday. I was so glad they knew. It was really fun talking to them about it and hearing them talk about how excited they were. I know I was just as excited! Disney is sooo fun!
The next big thing to happen was the arrival of the Disney Magic Bands! We were at my parents' when I got the email that they were at our house. We couldn't wait to get home to get them! And even better news....my parents were going with us!
Now all we had left to do was pack and wait! We made restaurant reservations and fast pass picks so we were ready to go! April 21st couldn't get here fast enough!
Finally, the night before was here! Grandma and Papa were at our house, daddy was home from work and all the kids' sporting events were over. Nothing left but the trip! We were flying out of Memphis early Tuesday morning which is about a 2 hour drive so we had to get up very early to get out the door on time. That was no problem for Ella and Luke! I really don't know if Ella ever went to bed. I know Luke did because the day before I had to pick him up early from school because he had gotten sick with the stomach bug! He came home and slept for about 12 hours straight! The next morning he woke up like nothing had ever happened and was ready to go. That kid amazes me! I made him sleep as much as he could in the car. I was afraid he was still sick but trying to be brave.
Here we are at the airport.
And at the Orlando airport waiting to get on the Disney Magic Express! That was really fun! We didn't have to drag any of our luggage with us. They picked it up and it was in our room when we got there! I'm telling you, Disney really knows what they are doing!
The ride to the resort was fun too! They played movies the whole way.
We stayed at the Disney Art of Animation resort because it had really big suites big enough to fit 8 people and because it was so darn cute! It was decorated after the CARS, Little Mermaid and Lion King movies. We stayed in a CARS suite. So cool!
After we settled into the hotel, we headed to Epcot. Best ride was Test Track there. Later that evening we ate at the Harvest Grill where the kids got to see some of the characters. AB screamed at the sight of all of them!
This is a pic of our hotel at night...the Cozy Cone Hotel swimming pool! So so cute!
The next day we rode the bus over to Magic Kingdom! So exciting!
Our first ride was Peter Pan which was so sweet. Here are some random pics of the day.
That night we ate a Chef Mickey's. This was the kids' favorite because it was buffet with a really big dessert bar!
The next day, Lyle , Ella, Luke and I took a cab to Universal Studios so we could go to Harry Potter World. I think I was most excited about this! We love Harry Potter! We left AB with Grandma and Papa to relax the whole day which is what I think they were looking forward to the most:)
Here we are that morning eating Mickey Waffles...I really wanted them to get Mickey Waffles!
Then on the cab ride to the park.
Our first look into Harry Potter World! This was Hogsmeade.
After exploring Hogswarts castle, getting their wands (Luke got Harry Potter's wand and Ella got Hermione's) and riding some rides, we jumped on the Hogwarts Express to ride over to Diagon Alley. I can't tell you how much fun this was!!
The ride Exscape from Gringott's didn't allow you to use an Express pass (which are the best things in the world!) so we had to wait in line about an hour. Complete torture for Luke! He really wouldn't have made it if he had gone back when I went to Disneyland when they didn't have any Express/Fast passes!
Ella broke the tip of her interactive wand so we went to the wand shop to get it fixed.
After that we ate lunch at the Three Broomsticks and had our first taste of Butter Beer (no alcohol;) It was here that Lyle and I learned our research paper had just been accepted! Great Great day!!
All the rides were fun but this was one of our favorites.....Dudley Do Right. So fun! Reminded me of rides with my family as a kid.
While we were at the Universal, my parents took AB to Animal Kingdom where they had dinner and saw the Lion King performance which I heard was fantastic!
When we got home, the kids tried the new chocolate frogs and the surprise jelly beans they had gotten from Diagon Alley. I think Ella got a bad one!
We went to the lobby and picked up the hats they bought the day before at Magic Kingdom.
Silly Kids!
The next day was Hollywood Studios. The kids got to participate in a StarWars play. So funny!
Here are some more pics from that day and our last day back at Magic Kingdom.
Annabeth got some of her own cute glasses too!
I can't tell you how fun it was...have I said that a couple times or what! But it really was! Once in a lifetime trip! I don't think we will ever be this excited for a trip again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













































































No comments:
Post a Comment